Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ventral gluteal shot

14 posts in this topic

Posted

So thinking of giving this spot a go. I'm told that if youput your thumb on the top of your iliac crest bone, and middle finger on the boney bit at the hip/top of your femur. Then with the index finger you feel for the soft area between those two points (slightly infront). That's where to pin. If you lift your leg to the side the muscle should contract.

This sound like the correct spot?

Posted

So thinking of giving this spot a go. I'm told that if youput your thumb on the top of your iliac crest bone, and middle finger on the boney bit at the hip/top of your femur. Then with the index finger you feel for the soft area between those two points (slightly infront). That's where to pin. If you lift your leg to the side the muscle should contract.

just go to the spotinjections website. everything is there

Posted

just go to the spotinjections website. everything is there

Doesn't have VentroGlute on there, I've looked in the past

Posted

As long as you know where it is and know how to inject there correctly then it is one of the best spots and easily handles 4ml.

There are plenty of pics on the ventro glute muscle, oh and make sure you are laying down.

Posted

[MENTION=8989]Mars[/MENTION] Laying hey!

Well I think I know where it is. My spot seems like its about right. Proofs in the pudding I suppose so will give it a go.

Posted

Easy to find, but personally when pinning thick oil I found it tough to put enough pressure without bruising the area, won't be bothering again.

Posted

Doesn't have VentroGlute on there, I've looked in the past

Does it really matter that much m8?

Posted

I don't suppose it does but telling someone to go to spotinjections because everything is there isn't much help when what he is looking for isn't actually there at all :).

Posted

B1oody hell mate I'm only saying!

Wasn't being funny

Posted

this was on gh15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMM5ram9jOs

Posted

I'll have a go at explaining this one to you. If you master it, it's the most painless site I think you can do and it's easy to access. Because you've got 2 sides, that's another 2 injection sites for you.

There's a good reason why Mars and the medical world insist you do it lying down and I think it's because the gluteus medius (which you'll be injecting through) and the gluteus minimus (the target muscle) will be relaxed when you inject. If the muscles are tensing, they're harder to pierce, it's more painful, there's more chance of bleeding and the needle tip can jiggle around in the muscle tearing fibres and capillaries. I do it standing up because I've developed a way to relax the muscles without lying down and I find the lying down technique more difficult. I'm not a doctor, just a guy with a lot of curiosity :D so if you don't think it's for you, don't try it.

1. First of all, clean your hands. Then you need to find your greater trochanter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_trochanter. It's a big, knobbly piece of bone at the top of your femur.

post-14914-143614856088_thumb.jpg

You'll feel it sticking out around the area in the photos.

2. About 6 inches directly above the greater trochanter is the top of your Iliac crest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliac_crest

post-14914-1436148561_thumb.jpg

3. Roughly in the middle of the greater trochanter and the top of the iliac crest is a soft, doughy area.

post-14914-143614856117_thumb.jpg

4. Clean the tips of your fingers and thumbs of both hands with alcohol wipes.

post-14914-14361485614_thumb.jpg

5. Clean the soft doughy area in a circular motion arcing out like you normally would for a glute or quad shot.

post-14914-143614856158_thumb.jpg

6. This is arguably the hardest part because it requires you to feel the gluteus medius relax and go soft. If I'm injecting my right ventro side like here, I achieve this by leaning my body weight more onto my left. I'll feel the muscle and the area go soft. This is what you want before and during injection. I find my greater trochanter again and go about 2.5 inches directly above it and mark it with my right thumb. With the index finger of my left hand, I position it about 1-1.5cm in front of where my thumb is.

post-14914-143614856173_thumb.jpg

7. I take away my thumb, leave my finger there and with a 1.25" blue, inject right next to the tip of the finger.

post-14914-143614856191_thumb.jpg

8. From a slight different camera angle, here's the aspirate and inject.

post-14914-14361485621_thumb.jpg

9. You're done!

Who wants to have a go? :)

post-14914-143614856076_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

That's too lateral, it's more at the front than that and maybe just a touch lower.

Edit: I could be wrong, difficult to judge as you aren't lying down.

Edited by #13

Posted (edited)

That's too lateral, it's more at the front than that and maybe just a touch lower.

Edit: I could be wrong, difficult to judge as you aren't lying down.

I know. It's not the greatest example because I was doing the camera shots myself with a 10 second timer and trying to get everything in position was well tricky. Also the camera rotates round to my front for the last shot maybe giving the impression the shot is too far back.

Edited by DrRinse

Posted

I shot probably about an inch in front of where you show. I did it standing as well as I couldnt relax laying down and it was more awkward. Any way I'll report back if my leg needs to get chopped off due to a dodgy shot!