Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking for a gym - Central London

10 posts in this topic

Posted

London has the gayest gyms in the world. I spent 2 weeks to find a decent priced normal gym. Joined the YMCA which seemed like an all right gym (also has discounts for students) until I found there are no incline/decline bench rack and no squad cage :( I asked if its possible to bring one but very seriously doubt they'll even consider. I think I'll cancel my membership after the required 3 months and start looking for another place. Problem is I'm not sure there are any. Musclework which seems like a proper hardcore gym is too far away for me. Do you know any normal gyms - not pilates/swimm/badminton centers, just a normal heavy weights gym with a lot of weights and less cardio around Central/North London (zones 1-2). Have you tried Gymbox? I asked them on email about the prices, no answer.

Thanks guys

Posted

Muscle works stoke newington or bethnal green they should be butch enough for ya !; most gyms in central cater for the cardio crowd !

Posted

Not sure exactly where you are but Genesis has a good reputation.

It's Park Royal / Alperton way.

Check their website.

Heard nothing but good things.

Posted

finding a hardcore gym in central london is like looking for a needle in a haystack, as above they are mainly cardio/fitness gyms with limited weights and equipment.

your best bet is the two muscleworks gyms bethnel green/stoke newington, bodyworks in tottenham or genesis in alperton.

i have heard there is one in hayes/uxbridge but am still unable to find it.

Posted

Yes Muscleworks is very good but u no anywhere near there.

Posted

finding a hardcore gym in central london is like looking for a needle in a haystack, as above they are mainly cardio/fitness gyms with limited weights and equipment.

your best bet is the two muscleworks gyms bethnel green/stoke newington, bodyworks in tottenham or genesis in alperton.

i have heard there is one in hayes/uxbridge but am still unable to find it.

Do you mean Panthers Gym http://www.panthersgym.com/ run by the ex gladiator Panther.

Posted

For something more central, gymbox in farringdon is alright but a bit gimmicky. And expensive.

Posted

Thanks guys, they all seem like paradise gyms but none is perfectly convenient for me - it takes me about an additional hour travel a day and about £4 more. I'm a poor student just moved to London to work as a junior in a company for the summer. Got a cheap flat next to Tower Bridge and my work is in Westminster.

Tasty, how much is the gymbox, do you know?

Posted

London has the gayest gyms in the world. I spent 2 weeks to find a decent priced normal gym. Joined the YMCA which seemed like an all right gym (also has discounts for students) until I found there are no incline/decline bench rack and no squad cage :( I asked if its possible to bring one but very seriously doubt they'll even consider. I think I'll cancel my membership after the required 3 months and start looking for another place. Problem is I'm not sure there are any. Musclework which seems like a proper hardcore gym is too far away for me. Do you know any normal gyms - not pilates/swimm/badminton centers, just a normal heavy weights gym with a lot of weights and less cardio around Central/North London (zones 1-2). Have you tried Gymbox? I asked them on email about the prices, no answer.

Thanks guys

I used to go to a gym called Pinks, got to be the gayest name of a gym I have been to