BestBefore1989

Old Dog - New Tricks

6,368 posts in this topic

Had a hard time in the gym tonight.

I don't know why but I was in a very negative frame of mind, I tried a new warm up/mobility routine and didn't like it nor did my knees.

I them seemed to try to talk myself out of every lift.  I was having negative thought about everything over 100Kg and oddly it was only when I had worked up to 125kg that I felt confident un-racking the bar.

I at least managed to do my min required lifts of:

squats warm ups 5,5,3

working sets 3 sets of 6

Leg Press 4 sets of 12

Mingster and Stephen9069 like this

Managed an hour on the bike working out to Cardio Coach Volume 5

1.Warm-up
2.Steady
3.Challenge 1 (3 level-3 hill climbs each for 4 min., 2 minute break between each)
4.Steady
5.Challenge 2 (6 level-3 sprints, each for 1min., 30sec break between each)
6.Steady
7.Challenge 3 (4 level-4 treks (combined incline+sprint), each for 30sec., 90sec break between each)
8.Cool-down

Greshie, Mingster and Stephen9069 like this

6 minutes ago, BestBefore1989 said:

Managed an hour on the bike working out to Cardio Coach Volume 5

1.Warm-up
2.Steady
3.Challenge 1 (3 level-3 hill climbs each for 4 min., 2 minute break between each)
4.Steady
5.Challenge 2 (6 level-3 sprints, each for 1min., 30sec break between each)
6.Steady
7.Challenge 3 (4 level-4 treks (combined incline+sprint), each for 30sec., 90sec break between each)
8.Cool-down

That sounds brutal mate i would die lol

1. warm up

2. die 

3. cry into a tub of ice cream lol 

thats my attempt at cardio

Greshie and BestBefore1989 like this

Tonights session was 

15 min warm up on the bike

OHP 5,5,3,6,6,9

Chin ups 4 sets of 8

Lateral raises 4 sets of 10

Dips 4 sets of 12

Mingster and Greshie like this

I didn't get to do a workout this morning, so I did a good one tonight

1 hour on the bike working out to Cardio Coach Volume 7

Track Time
Description
1. 5:28
Warm up - Brief warm-up to prepare you for the challenges ahead. Unlike Candace's version, V6 Sean style moves right into the first challenge. Level 1 exertion - zone 1 heart rate working to reach level 2.
2. 21:01
Challenge 1 - Make way for a quick transition. As soon as the warm up is over, Sean will direct you to get on cadence and begin your first of 4 climbs. You will have 3 minutes to reach your orange zone heart rate, so do it steadily. Once you reach the 3 minute mark, you will climb at a level 3 for 2 solid minutes. Be mindful of the level 3/4 sprint at the top of the hill. The road will flatten out and it's off to the races as you finish the first interval with a level 3 or 4 sprint for one minute. Take the 2 minute break and get ready for 3 more just like the first!
3. 3:37
Brief rest / Steady - If you didn't notice, the first challenge is 21 minutes and if you do it right, your heart rate should average 85% for more than a third of the challenge. That means, it's time now to get your rest. Jump into a level 2 effort when you are ready.
4. 9:47
Challenge 2 - Now that you are rested up, it's time to hit challenge 2. In this challenge you will be asked to sprint at a level 3 effort for a 1:1 work to rest ratio. That's 1 minute work and 1 minute rest. You have 5 sprints in the challenge.
5. 3:04
Steady 2 - Take it back to a level 2 and find your green zone heart rate.
6. 16:12
Challenge 3 - Challenge 3 is short and sweet. It starts off with a level 2 climb for one minute and moves into a level 3 climb for two minutes. Just when your heart rate peaks in the orange zone and you are feeling the effects of your anaerobic threshold, the mountain spikes straight up to a level 4 for the remaining minute. Dig in!
7. 4:01
Cool down - Now that the hard part is over, it's time to enjoy the thought of knowing you've made it through a tough workout. Level 1 exertion and zone 1 heart rate.

Mingster likes this

Jumped on the scales this morning and I'm 201.8 lbs so next to no movement from last week. I am happy with that but my concern now is next week.

Due to work I need to be away and will have limited control over my diet for 3 days and two nights and I shall not have access to a gym. If I can get to the end of next week and still be the same weight I will be very happy.

Stephen9069 likes this

This morning was steady state cardio, 30 min done on the cross trainer at level 11

tonight was deadlifts

standard 15 min warm up on the bike

Deadlifts warm up sets 5,5,3  working sets 8,6,9

Supermans 4 sets of 10

GHR 3 sets of 5 slow neg, 

Leg raises 4 sets of 12

Stephen9069, Mingster and Greshie like this

I really wasnt in the mood today. I ache and I have no energy so rather than sap my strength further with 15 min on the bike the only warm up I did today was the first 3 sets of bench press.

Bench press warm up sets 5,5,3

Bench press working sets 8,6,6

Bent over rows 4 sets of 10

Incline bench 3 sets of 10 and 1 set of 15

Greshie, Stephen9069 and Mingster like this

Due to work commitments I haven't trained all week and have had little control over my diet for 3 days this week, so I was very pleased when I jumped on the scales this morning to find that I had only put on just over 2 lbs. :thumb

Sadly I have managed to pick up a bug from somewhere, sneezing a lot and the glands in my neck hurt so the plan for this morning is 4,000 mg of Vitamin C and some cardio. Only a week to go till I hit the beach :thumbup1:

Greshie likes this

2 minutes ago, BestBefore1989 said:

Due to work commitments I haven't trained all week and have had little control over my diet for 3 days this week, so I was very pleased when I jumped on the scales this morning to find that I had only put on just over 2 lbs. :thumb

Sadly I have managed to pick up a bug from somewhere, sneezing a lot and the glands in my neck hurt so the plan for this morning is 4,000 mg of Vitamin C and some cardio. Only a week to go till I hit the beach :thumbup1:

We're all in the wars atm. Watch out Greshie lol.

Greshie and BestBefore1989 like this

23 hours ago, Mingster said:

We're all in the wars atm. Watch out Greshie lol.

Moi?   Fit as a fiddle at the moment ...fingers crossed .:huh:

#keepyourbugsawayfromme :whistling:

BestBefore1989 and Mingster like this

I am a little under the weather and it was very warm in my gym today, which might explain why todays workout felt harder than it should have.

I managed

15 min warm up on the bike

5 - 10 min of mobility work

squats warm up sets 5,5,3

working sets 8,6,5

Leg press 4 sets of 12

GHR 3 sets of 5

Only posting up the last set, not the best set up resulting in the bar being off centre but a comfortable 5 reps. 

Greshie, Mingster and Stephen9069 like this

I'm not feeling well at all today, the sore throat has really taken hold so I am not training, I need all my energy to recover. I don't want to be ill on my holiday.

25 minutes ago, BestBefore1989 said:

I'm not feeling well at all today, the sore throat has really taken hold so I am not training, I need all my energy to recover. I don't want to be ill on my holiday.

Aye. Sod training. Holidays are special. Get well soon mate.

BestBefore1989 likes this

12 hours ago, BestBefore1989 said:

Hope you feel better soon, you don't want to be ill on your holiday !

BestBefore1989 likes this

23 hours ago, Mingster said:

Aye. Sod training. Holidays are special. Get well soon mate.

11 hours ago, Greshie said:

Hope you feel better soon, you don't want to be ill on your holiday !

Thanks Gents. I am taking my vitamins and resting up as much as possible

Mingster, Greshie and Stephen9069 like this

Jumped on the scales this morning and I am 204.2 lbs

I am happy with that given I have done no exercise for ages, weight has been controlled purely by diet.

I'm off now to eat and drink what ever I fancy for 10 days so I am sure my weight will be going up :D

Mingster, Greshie and Stephen9069 like this