UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Old Dog - New Tricks

271K views 7K replies 121 participants last post by  Brian Multigym 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I have been hanging around UK-M for quite a while trying to quietly learn from you guys and gals.

As that does not appear to be working I have finally decided to make a log of my endeavours.

Any advice and constructive criticism will be gratefully received and any taking the **** out of the fat old boys efforts will be taken on the chin / in jest.

Current stats

I'm 49 years young in January

I'm 5 ft 11 inches tall

Weight is 226 pounds / 102.5Kg / 16 stone

Body fat 31% according to my bathroom scales

Chest 45 inch

Waist 41 inch

About me

I have been training for a while, my computer based logs go back to 2006 and I can't be bothered to dig out my note pads that predate the PC, so let's say from 6 to 8 years.

I believe my biggest failing is my diet.

Last year I tried my first ever out and out cut and managed to drop from 220lb to 194lb in 4 months but I lost strength as well as size so the following months I tried a 5X5 routine with the MADCOW diet sadly the main result of this was I got fat, damaged my right shoulder and appear to have lost flexibility in my Pecs, Shoulders and Hip flexors!

Goals

My Long term goal is to be big and strong and fighting fit.

I have never had a burning desire for a 6 pack but I like the old school slim waist and broad shoulders look.

My short term goal is to have just the one chin and a stomach that sits in not over my pants.

Activity

I have hardly trained since November and due to work commitments I shall be away for the 1st week of January, so I plan to start the year with a week of push-ups, pull-ups, squats and crunches before moving onto 8 weeks of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength.

I shall be posting my diet, my supplements, my work outs and I plan to post monthly photos.

I took the following pics this morning

post-21154-143614344131_thumb.jpg

I think that covers everything, if I have missed anything out please let me know

Progress pictures page 8, 13, 19, 30, 38, 57, 122, 177, 250, 255, 261, 270, 276, 283, 298

Videos page 30, 32, 35, 36, 38, 41, 44, 45, 46, 65, 67, 68, 69, 70, 73, 76, 78, 81, 82, 86, 87, 89, 101, 103, 105, 111, 140, 143, 152, 153, 251

post-21154-143614344088_thumb.jpg

post-21154-143614344108_thumb.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Good luck mate, you can make this happen , its all got to come from inside mate , and when it gets hard(as it will) you dig deeper. when you have a off day make it only last that day then back on it... too many people give up and dwell on off days, thats when they spread into off weeks and months...

will watch with interest brother !!!

#15 ·
I guess Drinking till 3 am this morning was never going to help, but I was amazed at how out of puff I was this morning.

Stretching is important to me so I started the day with 10 rounds of yoga sun salutation followed by 30 squats, 20 push-ups and 20 Abdominal Crunches

This month

My Diet plan is on a lifting day 3000Kcal and on a non lifting day 2500 Kcal a day comprising of

60g fat, a min 250g protein, rest from Carbs

I think what I may do is post what I ate the previous day, that way there will be no hiding any failings

Supplements

Protein powder (currently Whey Protein Concentrate 80% from Iron Science)

Wheatgrass powder ( MyProtein)

I have never taken greens powder before so as recommended I shall slowly introduce it into my diet so I can get used to any detoxification reaction

Fish oils ( Costco )

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yesterdays food

Breakfast

5 medium Egg

Wheatgrass powder

3 servings Fish Oil

2 servings Instant Coffee with Milk

2 teaspoons Sugar

Meal 2

2 servings Impact Whey

Lunch

3 tbsps Barbecue Sauce

1 serving British Petit Pois

210 g Chicken Breast (Skin Not Eaten)

1 serving Instant Coffee with Milk

1 teaspoon Sugar

Meal 4

2 servings Impact Whey

Dinner

3 tbsps Barbecue Sauce

2 servings British Petit Pois

210 g Chicken Breast (Skin Not Eaten)

Meal 5

500 mls 2% Fat Milk

3 cubics inch Camembert Cheese

1 serving Crackers

TOTAL Fat(g) 77.74 Carbs(g) 90.35 Prot(g) 281.98 KCals 2282

I drank 3.5 litres of water including the water used to make the protein shakes

I must say Wheatgrass powder does not taste as bad as I was lead to believe.

Don't get me wrong it does not look at all appetising and it's not a pleasant smell but it does not taste nasty. what I will say is that it kept repeating itself on me all day , perhaps that's a detoxification reaction !

I started today with 10 rounds of yoga sun salutation followed by 2 sets of 30 squats, 20 push-ups and 20 Abdominal Crunches

#21 ·
I have been looking into using a sweetener, problem is they all appear to be nasty stuff, saccharin causes cancer in rats so its cant be all that good to put in my body, Cyclamate remains banned in the U.S. (not sure why but it it's not good enough for them I'm not taking it) and Aspartame has caused the most controversy of all the sugar substitutes.

I don't like the taste of honey in Coffee so I may simply try to drink less Coffee

#22 ·
Many years ago, I used to have 2 teaspoons of sugar in tea/coffee.

The way I did it was cut down to 1 for a while. After a few days you get used to it.

Then say four weeks later, cut it out all together.

After a little while, you will wonder how you ever drank it with sugar

Good luck

#25 ·
Good luck mate, that could of been me writing this thread, I am 49 in February, fcuked my right shoulder up in June moving a sofa, 2 visits to see a physio did nothing, I am slowly getting back movement of my shoulder by doing rota cuff exercises with bands, i still do not think i am ready for a proper workout as sometimes it is a little sore, this morning I weighed in at 16st 2lbs but i am only 5ft 8in, well done for putting pics up, I am not that brave lol.

#26 ·
Yesterdays food

Breakfast

5 medium Egg

Wheatgrass powder

3 servings Fish Oil

2 servings Instant Coffee with Milk

2 teaspoons Sugar

Meal 2

2 servings Impact Whey

Lunch

Tin of Baked Beans

2 slices of toast

butter

1 serving Instant Coffee with Milk

1 teaspoon Sugar

Meal 4

2 servings Impact Whey

Dinner

3 tbsps Barbecue Sauce

1 servings British Petit Pois

420 g Chicken Breast (Skin Not Eaten)

TOTAL Fat(g) 72.95 Carbs(g) 117.41 Prot(g) 270.58 KCals 2326

I drank 3.5 litres of water including the water used to make the protein shakes

First day back to work today and I woke up late, typical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.