Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Giving a speech at a wedding.. Beta blockers?

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Sup,

It's my sisters wedding in April and she's asked me to do a speech as her dad passed away some years ago now and she feels I'd be the best person for the job! Now I'd like to do it, but I'm just anxious at the thought of having to do it infront of all them people, worried I'll just crumble and go speechless lol. Now i've heard of beta blockers before, basically alleviating any sides of anxiety.. Would these be any good to use just for this event? I'm a great speaker normally, just never really spoke much infront of an audience and certainly not under that sort of pressure!!

Posted

Sup,

It's my sisters wedding in April and she's asked me to do a speech as her dad passed away some years ago now and she feels I'd be the best person for the job! Now I'd like to do it, but I'm just anxious at the thought of having to do it infront of all them people, worried I'll just crumble and go speechless lol. Now i've heard of beta blockers before, basically alleviating any sides of anxiety.. Would these be any good to use just for this event? I'm a great speaker normally, just never really spoke much infront of an audience and certainly not under that sort of pressure!!

Yeah they would work, but see if you can do a few practice runs of whatever it is and be comfortable doing it somewhere else then consider it again.

Posted

i did a best mans speach mixing tramadol, lorazepam and eph

had a fukin great time

felt like bloody robbie williams accepting a music award

Posted

Any arguments for not taking beta blockers, apart from the fact that some people like the thought of doing it 'unassisted'? As that element doesn't bother me, just want to be able to say what I want to say without falling apart ! haha. Undoubtedly do some practice runs anyway though!

Posted

They stop the racy heart and horrible feeling that goes with it so imo mate they will definitely help alot. I recently used Propranalol for a job interview and got the job, it made me feel pretty confident probably coz the physical effects of anxiety were blocked!

Posted

Few beers and a valium. You'll be so chilled and cool that black people will greet you in the street

Posted

Tab of acid 1 hr before you're due to go on. That'll do the trick.

Posted

United Pharmacies any good for this sort of stuff?

Posted

Watching this thread with interest got a Best mans speech coming up next year. Feel your pain

Posted

They stop the racy heart and horrible feeling that goes with it so imo mate they will definitely help alot. I recently used Propranalol for a job interview and got the job, it made me feel pretty confident probably coz the physical effects of anxiety were blocked!
how much propranalol did you take before the interview mate ??

Posted

Watching this thread with interest got a Best mans speech coming up next year. Feel your pain

Good luck bud!! So far off ain't they but you know it'll come up sooner than you anticipate!

Posted

i did a best mans speach mixing tramadol, lorazepam and eph

had a fukin great time

felt like bloody robbie williams accepting a music award

tramadol is vile stuff! well after several pints. had me over the toilet for agges gagging lol

Posted

Just do it man, you don't need drugs to talk ffs. You've probably been chosen because you're good fun.

I done two best man speeches, bit nerve racking but it's just talking.

Posted

how much propranalol did you take before the interview mate ??

20mg before bed, then 40mg 2 hours before interview, I was amazed how well it woked tbh!

I've also got a best mans speech to do sometime in the near future, i'm thinking these will come in handy again.

Posted

Get a 1 quick beer down you and get up there m8, soon as your stood up and going your nerves will go. Enjoy yourself

Posted

Brilliant thread, i was going to start one like this in a few months because ive to be a best man at a weeding and im dreading it because i suffer from bad anxiety and its got worse this year ffs. Would the betablockers have any effect with drinking, dont want to be wasted early in the day

Posted

Get a 1 quick beer down you and get up there m8, soon as your stood up and going your nerves will go. Enjoy yourself

It would take more than 1 beer with me, id have to go out on a days session before i could do it but then im the type that you wouldnt get the mic of me when im full,lol

Posted

Any arguments for not taking beta blockers, apart from the fact that some people like the thought of doing it 'unassisted'? As that element doesn't bother me, just want to be able to say what I want to say without falling apart ! haha. Undoubtedly do some practice runs anyway though!

Ive been on them long term.They are horrible.They basically block the effects of adrenalin, on the heart.ive also done the best man thing.Few pints of Stella, far better.

Posted

I used beta blockers and personally didn't like them...I knew I was anxious psychologically but my body wasn't responding..until the drug wore off and had a panic attack. However, I have an anxiety disorder so may be why. If you do go down that route I'd advise you to try them a few times before and test how they work for you.

The non drug route though would be to practice speaking in public :)

Posted

I took 1 Propranalol befofre my best mans speach and aced it. It stops the nerves and allows you the clarity you need

Posted

dutch courage...

just not too much lol

Posted

Where is the best place to buy Propranalol peeps? Got some interviews coming up and wouldn't mind trying them.

Posted

Keep it short, simple and sweet.

Practice practice practice and then guess what.... PRACTICE

-Infront of family/friends, just get used to it, so you know this speech inside out, upside down, back to front, round and round lol

Everyone here who has said they have to do it as well, have also said that are nervous.. so its NORMAL to feel like this

Just remember you are doing this for your loved ones, you are not a proffesional spokesman, no one will expect the best public speaking performance, everyone in the room will be friends and family and its the fact that you have sat down and thought about what you want to say so the intent is there and everyone in the room will know this, so it actually doesnt matter how well you present it at the end of the day, just enjoy it and think about why you are doing it!

I really believe you can do this without drugs, you can write, you can talk, just relax, millions have to do it every year...and majority will feel exactly the same as you, when you are up there talking atleast 50-60% of the people will be thinking wow, I wouldnt want to do that, and you will automatically command respect from most of the audience just for that :)

Seriously though, keep it short and sweet and practice until you are sick to death of it, then practice more

Posted

I got a christmas do to got to with the missus, Wouldnt usually bother me but her whole company (60 people ) will be there and its a black tie event. Felling quiet anxious about that as formal stuff just aint me. Gotta site with the director and have dinner so yeah not feeling to great about that as if i have to many drinks to settle the nerves i am gonna make an **** of myself. Though about beta blockers but not to sure if drinking with them is anygood

Posted

its a wedding, get drunk im sure every 1 else will be.