Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wardy's Madcow Attack!!

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello fellow UKMer's!

For those that don't know me I started a journal here in Feb started off with a mix of strength/hypertrophy training then switched to a more strength orientated self-made routine in a bid to enter my first powerlifting comp. I did the comp last Sunday and came away with:

1RM PBs

Squat - 140kg

bench - 105kg

Deadlift - 195kg

All unequipped in the 82.5kg weight class.

I am now going to do the 'Madcow' routine for the next 3 months or so and hope to increase strength more in prep for my next comp lined up late January. For those that don't know it, it consists of progressive overloading on compounds squat, bench, deadlift, Overhead Press and Bent Over Rows.

Stats

- 21 years old

- Training for around 10 months

- Natty

- 5'9

- 82.5kg BW

I am going to start the routine with no accessory exercises and if I feel the need add a few accessories in.

I'll keep it updated it regularly and I hope you all enjoy following!

Edited by Wardy21

Posted (edited)

So just came back from first session and it killed me. Mixture of the heat and my poor endurance :D

02/09/11 - MADCOW DAY 1

Squat

bar x many

60kg x 5

70kg x 5

85kg x 5

100kg x 5

belt on

115kg x 5

Bench

40kg x 5

55kg x 5

65kg x 5

75kg x 5

85kg x 5

Rows

40kg x 5

50kg x 5

60kg x 5

65kg x 5

Notes

So first Madcow session today and its pretty damn hard work! My first rep on my top set of 115kg was hard and thought I was gonna fail set but I just went down abit wrong and other 4 reps weren't too bad but tough enough for first week thats for sure. Also I'm thinking that throughout this routine I'm going to only use belt for top set but we'll see if I keep that mentality when the sets get tougher :)

Bench I did at the gym I use for squats and I hated the bench had to do a half rep to get it in position and really narrow bench - gonna use a different one next time. Top set of 5 x 85 was tougher than it shoulder been but I wasn't resting long enough as I was in a rush.

Bent over rows I missed my top set of 75kg because my back was twinging abit and because the gym was shutting and I rushed all other sets with about 1min rest between sets and just didn't think it was worth rushing into last set so just left it. Won't make a habit of this but its first week and I felt abit tired/weak.

Edited by Wardy21

Posted

Good luck with it mate. I'm doing SL5x5 at the moment so interested to see how you progress on madcow

Posted

is the other one dead now buddy ?

Posted

Yeah pretty much mate. Might just leave it to reminisce lol

Posted

Yeah pretty much mate. Might just leave it to reminisce lol

i think you should delete this and carry it on the old one m8 but have bullet points on first page so its easy to find new routine or comp videos :)

but all the best on madcows .

Posted

this will sound dumb, but is progressive overloading which your doing building the weight up to your heaviest lift, if not dont you think you could lift more by going heavy first

good luck by the way, will be following due to my lack of social life

Posted

lack of social life

I'm on this more than facebook :lol: quite interested in this workout if I'm honest, how many times a week are you working out for this?

Posted (edited)

this will sound dumb, but is progressive overloading which your doing building the weight up to your heaviest lift, if not dont you think you could lift more by going heavy first

good luck by the way, will be following due to my lack of social life

Adding small amounts on the 3rd day each workout for a 3RM then on day 1 going for 5rm on that same weight then same again for day 3 repeating this till are big and strong :) or in my case stall on week 5 and have to deload but yeah thats the idea mate lol

Also I'm following it exactly as it says except for rounding weights up or down slightly for convenience. I think the idea is the sets leading up to it are infact building strength as well and you're not just seeing how much you can lift if you get me?

Edited by Wardy21

Posted

i think you should delete this and carry it on the old one m8 but have bullet points on first page so its easy to find new routine or comp videos :)

but all the best on madcows .

Ahhh now youve given me a dilemma Ewen ffs lol

Posted

Good luck with it mate. I'm doing SL5x5 at the moment so interested to see how you progress on madcow

I was considering 5x5 but think thats best if you have none-very little lifting experience as the weight increases are very sharp but its the best routine for quick gains I reckon. Hopefully I'll see some nice steady gains on this

Posted

OK have decided I'm going to just carry this routine on to my existing log instead of creating a new one. Can a MOD delete this thread please? thanks