Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Knee Operation!!

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey all,

Just got back from the hospital and it turns out my sore knee is in fact a bad bucket handle tear of the medial meniscus and my anterior collateral ligament is ruptured.

This means I need an op around May to fix both :(

I can still squat 180 for reps tho!!

Regards

SD

Posted

is it only a quick minor surgery mate??

sorry to hear that geezer it sucks good goin on reppin 180's tho :eek: thats heavy weight!

Posted

Carefull Doc, dont jack that leg anymore than you already have.

Posted

Sounds painful mate, agree with Hacks take it easy now, jeez 180 squats!!! good work

Posted

I can still squat 180 for reps tho!!

Regards

SD

Damn, what are you doing, leaning over onto the good leg?:D

I knew it, it was that strawberry sh1t wasn't it?.........lol

Posted

lmao winger :D

Posted

Knee gave a little on Wednesday scared the carp out of me :eek: DOes anyone think knee wraps would help? I have never used them or considered them before, is there a special way to wrap them?

Most sites sell the maximuscle ones, whihc are cheapest from maximuscle as there is no delivery charge, has anyone used these?

thanks

SD

Posted

they are a mission to get on my trainin partner uses them and he says they help but only use em for ur heavy sets as u dont wanna get to dependent on them imo

Posted

try www.titansupport.com and get the black with the blue stripe there the best for money!!!

From another thread.

I'm going to start using them soon, the change in motion on heavy squats is starting to put real pressure on my knees, still beltless though!

Posted

Yeah Dr, you should ask Titter about using the straps. I hear he has a thing for them.

Posted

Thanks guys,

Think I am gonna try them. My operation date came through today, its April 26th. I will be having my medial meniscus removed and 1 third of my patellar tendon whihc will be used to reconstruct my torn ACL. Fun!

Lol Megatron James was a card wasn't he :D

PU, The titansupport page is american, with delivery I am sure ot wouldn't be cost effective but thanks for the link.

DB, I only do heavy sets of squats!! ;):D

Say hi to Mrs DB for me ;)

Lol

thanks all

SD

Posted

was that caused by squats? did u have an accident or something.. i really hope its not the squats.. cause i go heavy always as well.. 2 days ago i has a new PR.. 160kg for 6 reps.. no knee wraps just a belt..

u got me really scared now ..... dont really feel like having knee operation at 20... thats fvcked up..:(

Posted

Don't worry Zero,

I did it in a semi-contact taekwon-do match. I didnt turn my foot out as I kicked and span round on the knee instead....ouch! :eek:

Squatting with good form isn't gonna put your knees through much they aren't capable of handling. When you jump for example you can put as much as 7 bodyweights (the standard unit of measurement in biomechanics) through the joint!! thats is 700+kg for me!

Also at the peak of the squat your ACL and PCL are relaxed so arent contributing anything at all and are in no danger.

The danger from squatting is to your back, but I am sure your form is good mate. I always have a bench behind me in case I can't quite make that last rep, I just sit down :D

Regards

SD

Posted

That means you dont squat low enough then.

Posted

That means you dont squat low enough then.

Ummm what does? :confused:

SD

Posted

good.. relieved.. my back is great.. never felt any pain or anything on it..

i dont have a bench or anything when squating.. what i am thinking is "if i cant squat this light weight i deserve to die".. lol

i always go parallel to the floor and a little bit more sometimes.. once though i got stuck.. LOL was so funny.. i got stuck in squat possition and i have to drop the weight.. it was like an earthquake..

Posted

I bet is was, thats allot of weight.

Posted

I always have a bench behind me in case I can't quite make that last rep, I just sit down :D

That means you don't squat low enough then.

Posted

That means you don't squat low enough then.

Umm why? Even sat on the bench my knees are still bent beyond 90 degrees, which is more than optimal for squatting, what you think my ass and my heels should meet or something? :confused:

I think you are confusing a full squat http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFullSquat.html

with the exercise I said I was doing which is a squat

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBSquat.html

All the other squats are available here for comparison http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html#anchor172012

Regards

SD

Posted

Depends on the height of the bench.:)

Posted

A normal bench will be 17-18 inches high, to even get to a parallel squat you need to go lower than that, for a full squat you'd need an even lower bench.....unless you're 6' 5" or over, in which case you may be at parallel on a bench.

Posted

i dont use the bench idea like SD as i have friends...and can ask for a spot lmao!!

but the benches at my gym if say on will bend my knees over 90 degrees imo

Posted

i dont use the bench idea like SD as i have friends...and can ask for a spot lmao!!

But what if he bribes someone with a strawberry drink? Surely he could get a spot, no?

Posted

yeah probably winger! rotf!

Posted

A normal bench will be 17-18 inches high, to even get to a parallel squat you need to go lower than that, for a full squat you'd need an even lower bench.....unless you're 6' 5" or over, in which case you may be at parallel on a bench.

I am not 6'5'' GA, but my benches do go low enough for a standard squat. IF I was to do full squats I wouldn't use a bench at all, you seem to be dogedly trying to make a point that I don't squat low enough, not sure why? Been personal training for years so hope I at least got that right ;)

Lol DB, I train with my GF and usually late cos Its quieter, so no-one is about and my GF couldn't spot me for squats :D and the staff at my gym are way too small, except me of course :D

SD