Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
<JAY_JAY>

Fruit for carbs

56 posts in this topic

Could i use fruit for my carbs, instead of rice ect.

Example, chicken , almonds, bluerberries & apple

I use the almonds for fats, this would just be on meal 2 & 3 out of my 6 meals a day.

I m not sure if there a simple or complex carb, i no there no where there time release slower than sugery simple carbs like choclate ect..

Cheers for any thoughts or advice.

Sorry for the hijack but i was pondering the same question today but for milk.. ''milk for carbs'' what do people think? My reason was 4 pints is 70-80g of protein..

Sorry for the hijack but i was pondering the same question today but for milk.. ''milk for carbs'' what do people think? My reason was 4 pints is 70-80g of protein..

x2 i drink a lot of milk anyway

Fruit is mainly high G.I, more of a fast carb than complex like rice, pasta. Faster carbs will cause more insulin to spike, which could lead to more fat gain.

Fruit is mainly high G.I, more of a fast carb than complex like rice, pasta. Faster carbs will cause more insulin to spike, which could lead to more fat gain.

The GI of the fruit is highly dependant on it's total carb content and fibre, this aside eating it with protein and fats is going to massively change the GI of the whole meal so it's not worth worrying about a great deal.

The thinking thay High GI foods = fat gain is a massively simplistic way of looking at things and ignores total calorie balance, you could eat a lot of high GI foods and if you remained in a negative calorie balance you'd still lose weight. Plus I'd choose fruit anyday over refined foods like pasta, which are rubbish IMO.

I think I read something recently that linked high milk intake with prostate cancer in Males and some other thing in Females.

Hope its not the case cos I drink gallons of the stuff.

Regarding fruit carbs: 1 banana has 26g carbs and a granny smith has 25g. In theory having one of these in a day could be enough, in combination with any other micro amounts of carbs you may intake, to knock you out of ketosis if you were on a keto diet...?

Fruit and carbs discussion. Duh!

But nowhere has the OP mentioned he's on a keto diet? He was asking if he could replace more traditional starchy / wheat based carb sources with fruit, the answer to which is: yes. He might even be better off health wise for doing so.

Is it ok to eat fruit in place of carb such as pasta, oats, rice ect. Yes, why not? Gram for gram raw carbs have equal energy, 4kcal's. Now how your body deals with the type of carb is different. But is only relative when in context of a certain diet.

Like bayman said, the GI is relevant to what its own composition is and what you eat it with, ie. other carbs/protein/fat ect. But it is a factor.

Now there are so many variables to your question, that the simple answer is yes, carbs are carbs. But to be more specific, you will have to elaborate.

Other factors include, nutritional comparisons between fruits and grains ect. satiety, personal preference, and so much more.

alot of my carbs come from fruit.

Yesterday had 3 bananas, 200g raspberries...leaning out nicely

alot of my carbs come from fruit.

Yesterday had 3 bananas, 200g raspberries...leaning out nicely

LOL, I am dieting, I have about 2-3 apples, banana, 1-1.5 punnets of berries daily.

fruit just feels like a healthier carb, also wheat tends to bloat me, oats and rice etc I can overeat far too easily. I can easily limit myself when im eating fruit. I've rarely eaten more than 5 bananas in a day, thats 100-150g carbs. I could get through that much pasta in one sitting

Didn't actually mean it to look like I was saying all fruit is bad, and should not be part of your diet.

Just really the differences, between the more starchy carbs and fruit. It is true that if calories are in a deficit, then you will still lose bodyfat.

What many don't realise that in large quantities Fructose is the worst out of all sugar types, Fructose bi-passes the breakdown process that glucose undergoes and heads straight for the liver theoretically making the liver work overtime to process it. Also its very inefficient at being used as energy and prefers to be stored as fat... i've also read that Fructose can make fat cells less insulin sensitive due to its mechanisms, there is a massive scare about how bad Corn Syrup is, its called HFCS for a reason 'high fructose corn syrup' and use in foods in the USA has gone up 1000% since 1970, and so has obesity....

Fructose is not bad in moderation, so no need to drop your bananas but you don't want to replace other carbs completely with Fructose imo.

Hendrix likes this

What many don't realise that in large quantities Fructose is the worst out of all sugar types, Fructose bi-passes the breakdown process that glucose undergoes and heads straight for the liver theoretically making the liver work overtime to process it. Also its very inefficient at being used as energy and prefers to be stored as fat... i've also read that Fructose can make fat cells less insulin sensitive due to its mechanisms, there is a massive scare about how bad Corn Syrup is, its called HFCS for a reason 'high fructose corn syrup' and use in foods in the USA has gone up 1000% since 1970, and so has obesity....

Fructose is not bad in moderation, so no need to drop your bananas but you don't want to replace other carbs completely with Fructose imo.

Listen to this man.

Large Salads and lots of veggies are a great alternative.

This is a bit of a myth, fructose isn't any worse for you than any other carb. high fructose corn syrup is actually almost the same make up of fructose/glucose as table sugar. (ie 55% fructose, table sugar being 50% fructose)

The fructose myth came about because fat americans consuming 12 cans of coke a day wanted something/someone/anything to blame for their fat asses

Fructose is also not metabolised soley in the liver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLUT-5

ALR has put most of this right above.

Fructose is primarilty processed by the liver, yes, but this can be beneficial for a bb'er or athlete, as full levels of hepatic (liver) glycogen means you stay anabolic - hepatic glycogen is the first to be depleted by exercise. So a little fructose is good.

Plus this is ignorning the fact that most fruits are in fact a 50/50 split of fructose AND glucose, it'd be pretty difficult to OD on fructose from whole fruits alone, fruit juices and fizzy drinks full of HFCS is another thing mind.

Yep, a 500ml bottle of coke has 60g of carbs. at 55% fructose that one bottle has 2-3x the fructose of one banana. (also bananas have more sucrose and less fructose the greener they are..fructose is very sweet thats why yellow bananas are sweeter)

I've seen guys I work with go through 2-3 bottles of pop in a day, but never seen anyone eat 6-10 bananas...

except for that gorilla I work with of course

This is a bit of a myth, fructose isn't any worse for you than any other carb. high fructose corn syrup is actually almost the same make up of fructose/glucose as table sugar. (ie 55% fructose, table sugar being 50% fructose)

The fructose myth came about because fat americans consuming 12 cans of coke a day wanted something/someone/anything to blame for their fat asses

Fructose is also not metabolised soley in the liver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLUT-5

ALR has put most of this right above.

Fructose is primarilty processed by the liver, yes, but this can be beneficial for a bb'er or athlete, as full levels of hepatic (liver) glycogen means you stay anabolic - hepatic glycogen is the first to be depleted by exercise. So a little fructose is good.

Plus this is ignorning the fact that most fruits are in fact a 50/50 split of fructose AND glucose, it'd be pretty difficult to OD on fructose from whole fruits alone, fruit juices and fizzy drinks full of HFCS is another thing mind.

Yeah im not saying that fruit is bad, especially not whole fruit in moderation.... but even if we go off your and ALR's theory that Fructose is 'nearly' as good as table sugar then still, what use is that? 300g of carbs from complex slow release carbs is going to be much better than 300g of table sugar... and Fructose is not as efficient as normal glucose sugar