Anyone tried Shirataki Noodles, Low calorie, zero Carb

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Shirataki Noodles -

zero carbs :laugh:

low calorie :lol:

So good for those on a Keto or any diet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles

Shirataki (白滝?, often written with the hiragana しらたき) are very low carbohydrate, low calorie, thin, translucent, gelatinous traditional Japanese noodles made from the konjac plant. The word "shirataki" means "white waterfall", describing the appearance of these noodles. Largely composed of water and glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber, they have little flavor of their own.

Shirataki noodles can be found both in dry and soft "wet" forms in Asian markets and some supermarkets. When wet, they are purchased pre-packaged in liquid. They normally have a shelf life of up to one year. Some brands may require rinsing or par-boiling as the water they are packaged in has an odor that may be unpleasant to those not accustomed to it.

Alternatively, the noodles can be drained and dry roasted. This gets rid of the aku (bitterness). It also makes the noodles have a more pasta like consistency. Dry roasting is done by placing noodles in a non-stick skillet on high for a minute or until you hear a slight squeaking noise when moving them around. After that they are ready to be added to soup stock or have a sauce added to them.[1]

There are two types of shirataki noodles sold in the United States. Traditional shirataki noodles have zero net carbohydrates, no food energy, and no gluten, and they are useful for those on low-carbohydrate diets.[2] Tofu-based shirataki-style noodles are becoming increasingly popular in U.S. supermarkets and health food stores. They have a much shorter shelf life and require refrigeration even before opening. Tofu-based noodles contain a minimal amount of carbohydrates.[3]

aka likes this

Posted

been Jap I bet it cost more than beef

Posted

£1.80 Tesco's

Posted

I like the sound of these! You tried em mate? how would you personally cook them? (what with ect)

Posted

may be worth a try then, I have never seen them but I never look at the noodles section anyway

Posted

It. Looks. Disgusting. Why would anyone want to eat something that has low carbs and low cals like that? Especially anyone on this forum. Plus I can't see this being very satiating at all.

Posted

FMJ easy people on a keto or low calorie diet look for something to add texture to the meals, this is where this stuff works.

Posted

I'd give it a go, decent to add to ur meals on non training days where I try to keep carbs low

Posted

i have tried them, there fine, take the taste of any sauce u put with them.

Posted

i have tried them, there fine, take the taste of any sauce u put with them.

Exactly

Posted

The doo look like a bag of brains when they arrive tho.

Great for Keto/Low carb diet as they can bulk out your chicken meals, good for stirfrys.

Posted

You know after a few weeks of Keto people wouldn’t care if they wriggled.

Posted

do tesco definatley sell these? website couldnt find anything with that name :(

Posted

Do u use low carb megastore

I do, great store, the BBQ sauce is good too!

Posted

I do, great store, the BBQ sauce is good too!

Agree, I have another box of stuff due today the no carbs range is very good for little treats to keep you ticking over through a keto

Posted

Hi, I eat these all the time...really good filler food with no carb and low cals. There is a UK brand now called Zero Noodles. Definitely worth a try when doing no fat or carbs. Does anyone else eat zero noodles?

Posted

Ive had these before.

Slice up ginger and garlic in matchstick size pieces... Boil up a pan of water and add Miso paste (get it from Tesco.. quite high in salt though so use sparingly).. Throw in some thinly sliced mushrooms and chicken fillet or prawns..till cooked then a dash or two of dark soy sauce (low salt version) and throw in the noodles.. Sprinkle sliced raw spring onion and seasame seeds on when serving up in a bowl..

Posted

Diced Chicken choped peppers and onion with theses noodles and some chilli soy sauce yum:thumb:

Posted

that sounds pretty good...i will give that a go tonight i think. Although im pretty sure you cant get them in Tesco...have asked everytime i go in but they dont sell them....are you sure they are the same thing as the Zero Noodles dont have any salt at all...pretty much just pure fiber and water....

Posted

what kinda chilli sauce do you use Dizzee as they are generally really high in sugar...is there a low carb version maybe?

Posted

It says 4g of carbs per 100g, is this just fibre so not counted!?

Posted

what kinda chilli sauce do you use Dizzee as they are generally really high in sugar...is there a low carb version maybe?

Its not chilli sauce mate its chilli flavoured Soy sauce

http://www.amoy.co.uk/Products/Amoy_Chilli_Soy_Sauce.html

Theres a link to the nutrition of it