Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

uni / college rant!

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I am at college studying a foundation degree.

our 1st assignment got marked and handed back today, I failed. 30%

40% is a pass.

We handed them in last week, one lad didnt hand his in, becase he didn't do it.

He now has until the end of the 1st year to hand it it, but the highest mark he can get is 40%

it is my fault I failed, but the fact that I handed mine in and he didnt and he can still pass doesnt make sense..

does it?

Posted

depends what excuse he give for not doing it i suppose

Posted

the one thing i hav learnt from uni is there is always a way to get a deadline extended. You ll know fir next time to work harder or if you aint going to hand in a bit of work that you think is passable ask for an extension as there is nothin worse than havin to do the same piece of work twice!

Posted

talk to you teacher, ask for feed back you can always make it better for this time or the next, as you said is only first assignment

Posted

the one thing i hav learnt from uni is there is always a way to get a deadline extended. You ll know fir next time to work harder or if you aint going to hand in a bit of work that you think is passable ask for an extension as there is nothin worse than havin to do the same piece of work twice!

I had to give a doctor's note just for missing a practical session, never mind a deadline :lol:

Posted

Should have worked in the first place then.- the other lad may have had a valid excuse i suppose. Lifes tough.

Posted

Its called "Externiating circumstances"...just work harder dude, its only a first hurdle but make sure you ask for feedback.

Posted

Surely as you failed you will get a chance to do a resit? Then you will also get the chance to get the 40% needed?

Posted

Regardless of the other guys mark you failed. Suggestion would be to worry more about what you are doing and get a better mark rather than worrying about others?!

Joshua likes this

Posted

40% to pass? Thats ridiculous.

Posted

if you got 30% u get another go max mark 40%

Posted

Of course it's your fault you failed. How could you possibly think it's anybody else's fault that your peice of work was ****? Honestly mate, if I were you I'd just give up on education, you've ranted about it before and I'd say it's just not your bag.

laurie g likes this

Posted

don't let this experience to bring you down, instead look at how could be improve and learn for next time

Posted

maybe the other guy's mum died?

i'd rather have a failed exam than a dead mum

see, now you feel like the lucky one don't you?

Posted

Failed at foundation level... maybe you're just not suited to that course.

Posted

It dosent really matter if you only got 30% on your first assignment, just make up for it on your others. My degree is through Leeds met and I think if your assignment is more than 3 days late its ungraded.

Posted

40% for a pass??? That's a joke, you've basically only got to score 4 out of 10 to pass an exam. I hope my doctor had to achieve higher results. Doctors aside, could you imagine paying for the services of a so called "qualified" professional knowing that they only had to get 40% to become qualified. What is the world coming to? I'd man up if I were you and get on with studying a bit harder rather than worrying about what other people are doing.

Posted

Can't believe your at uni and u only just learnt that life ain't fair

laurie g likes this

Posted

Can't believe your at uni and u only just learnt that life ain't fair

haha!

true though

Posted

40% for a pass??? That's a joke, you've basically only got to score 4 out of 10 to pass an exam. I hope my doctor had to achieve higher results. Doctors aside, could you imagine paying for the services of a so called "qualified" professional knowing that they only had to get 40% to become qualified. What is the world coming to? I'd man up if I were you and get on with studying a bit harder rather than worrying about what other people are doing.

A pass doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want lol

Posted

Regardless of the other guys mark you failed. Suggestion would be to worry more about what you are doing and get a better mark rather than worrying about others?!

This is one of the accurate perceptions on life IMO.

Every single moment that your mind is occupied with thinking about what everyone else is doing, is a moment that you are failing to execute your own plans. It is a distraction from your target, and yes it does make that much of a difference.

J

Musashi, Magic Torch and pariah like this

Posted

As excuses go, this is pretty pathetic

Posted

Because of the new HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England) metrics system anyone who gets a non-submission will not be able to complete that module and will not be able to progress onto their next year of study.

Because of this most universities have a 1week policy. What this means is that you have one week after the deadline to get your work in or you get a NS (Non Submission), which they do not want because it means a claw-back of funding. That is why there is a 1 week submission policy with a 40% (pass) maximum grade, no matter what the circumstances. Of course if you have applied for mitigation, under extenuating circumstances, you will be able to get a deadline extended to whatever your universitie's mitigation panel decides is fair, based upon your reasons.

Lesson: Do better, work harder.

If you feel you are struggling with the work talk to your personal tutor, lecturer, module leader, course leader, faculty leader, or failing you get what you deem to be a good response, contact your Students' Union and talk to one of their Caseworkers to get an appeal going.

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about it, although you are doing a foundation course I have a feeling that because you submitted your work, although you didn't pass, you will be given a free retake in the summer period. This is of course as long as the module you failed in Semester 1 is not a prerequisite for a Semester 2 Module.

Talk to your personal tutor now and seek advice.

Posted

I hope my doctor had to achieve higher results. Doctors aside, could you imagine paying for the services of a so called "qualified" professional knowing that they only had to get 40% to become qualified. What is the world coming to?

Health and Human sciences courses are different in their marking approach. Because they are generally NHS contracts given to Universities their training is completely different and a lot of it is work based learning where they are assessed by current NHS staff. Of course progressing on to a PhD is completely different to that of a Post Graduate degree.

Posted

See a few people scoffing at the fact 40% is considered a pass. Would just like to point out something... 40/100 is a pass but thats all it is.. dont expect to be getting into any high paid jobs with a 1:3 on your degree. Just to enter masters you need a 2:1 (60-70%) and you need a 1st 80ish to go strait to PhD but even then its massive competion and only the ones with 90+ will get in.. but that depends on the field largely. Im in the psychology field, if i wanted to get into PhD of clinical psychaitry i need 95% or higher and then still battle it out with hundreds for about 10 spaces..