Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

  1. #1
    Getting HUGE!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,114
    Liked
    623 times

    How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    I bought 1.5kg silverside beef the other day as it was reduced in Waitrose but I have no idea how to cook it.

    I divided it into 250g portions and froze.

    I can't really slow cook it in the oven (and don't own a slow cooker) due to living in a shared uni house.

    Anyone have any idea on how to cook it so I don't need to chew for an hour?

  2. #2
    Getting HUGE!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,251
    Liked
    477 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    silverside has to be slow cooked mitch in a low heat for a few hours.the longer you can cook it on a low heat the more tender it will be.its better if you seal all the sides off in a pan on the hob 1st, then place it in a roasting dish with a drop of water in the bottom.cover the whole dish with foil.add some roughly chopped onions,leaks and carrots to the water if you like for extra flavour.its not like topside where you can cook it rare,silverside is tough as old boots if you dont slow cook it.goodluck
    hctiM likes this.

  3. #3
    Getting HUGE!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,114
    Liked
    623 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    Quote Originally Posted by martian View Post
    silverside has to be slow cooked mitch in a low heat for a few hours.the longer you can cook it on a low heat the more tender it will be.its better if you seal all the sides off in a pan on the hob 1st, then place it in a roasting dish with a drop of water in the bottom.cover the whole dish with foil.add some roughly chopped onions,leaks and carrots to the water if you like for extra flavour.its not like topside where you can cook it rare,silverside is tough as old boots if you dont slow cook it.goodluck
    Thanks mate.
    So can I get away with 3 hours? If so on what temp?
    I'm useless at cooking unless it's simple mince or chicken.

  4. #4
    Getting HUGE!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,251
    Liked
    477 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    3 hours at about 170c, but keep checking it.dont take it out til its tender or youll be disapointed
    hctiM likes this.

  5. #5
    Ser
    Ser is offline
    In the middle of a twin sandwich
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Under Hackskii, on top of Winger
    Posts
    7,004
    Liked
    3055 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    Martian has a good plan!

    Why oh why did you cut it up?? My nana used to boil it first to make stock for soup, then slooowwww roast it with veg and roasties.

    The other thing she would do is chop it into wee chunks, fry it with garlic and make a bolognese but with chunks of meat instead of mince.....always better cooked one day and served the next(so the flavours can develop) on a bed of pasta with garlic cheesey bread....brown the meat with garlic that has been crushed with salt, add chopped tinned tomatoes and tomato puree(depending on the quality of the tinned tom's) and leave to reduce until the 'chopped toms' become liquid and the sauce is thick, then just add to cooked pasta....fekkin delish and was the whole families choice of food on smas day....but me mam thought it wrong not to have turkey n trimmings, so we had it as starter instead.
    hctiM likes this.
    "When I wear my Killer Heels men will GASP with passion, lust and longing, and girls will SIGH with envy and dispair. For I shall be the total queen of HOTNESS and they shall be my humble faithful SLAVES."-Edward Monkton

    Dance like nobody is watching and fcuk like everyone is

    If you think you can, you can. If you think you cant, your right!

  6. #6
    the artist formerly known as chilli
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    east midlands
    Posts
    5,033
    Liked
    4425 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    At the other end of the spectrum, if you like your meat raw, silverside makes good steak tartare.
    hctiM likes this.

  7. #7
    Getting HUGE!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,114
    Liked
    623 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ser View Post
    Martian has a good plan!

    Why oh why did you cut it up?? My nana used to boil it first to make stock for soup, then slooowwww roast it with veg and roasties.

    The other thing she would do is chop it into wee chunks, fry it with garlic and make a bolognese but with chunks of meat instead of mince.....always better cooked one day and served the next(so the flavours can develop) on a bed of pasta with garlic cheesey bread....brown the meat with garlic that has been crushed with salt, add chopped tinned tomatoes and tomato puree(depending on the quality of the tinned tom's) and leave to reduce until the 'chopped toms' become liquid and the sauce is thick, then just add to cooked pasta....fekkin delish and was the whole families choice of food on smas day....but me mam thought it wrong not to have turkey n trimmings, so we had it as starter instead.
    I'm still new to cooking for myself and so rather than cooking the whole 1.5kg I thought it would be better to divide it. I'll keep it whole next time!

    I might try slow cooking one, boiling another and making the other into a chunky spag bol. Hopefully one will be edible but unlikely with my skills.
    Ser likes this.

  8. #8
    Mr Universe
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,801
    Liked
    3779 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    I make biltong from silver side mainly
    hctiM likes this.

  9. #9
    Getting HUGE!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,114
    Liked
    623 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheyman View Post
    I make biltong from silver side mainly
    How do you do this!!?
    I can't stand paying £2/3 for 50g. I got my 1.5kg for that price!

  10. #10
    Getting HUGE!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,487
    Liked
    824 times
    Airdrying and spice mix. Haven't attempted it yet but.there are lots of sites about with advise on how to make it
    hctiM likes this.

  11. #11
    Mr Universe
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,801
    Liked
    3779 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    Hi I use a big carboard box with vernts and a fan heater on low, some people use a 60 watt bulb. but a good guide is this 1.5kg makes around 900g finished product. http://www.shoponlion.com/pages/How-...n-biltong.html
    hctiM likes this.

  12. #12
    Getting HUGE!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,114
    Liked
    623 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    Slow cooked 250g of the beef for three hours with some stock in a casserole dish.

    Fell apart in my mouth.

    Thanks for the help.
    SATANSEVILTWIN likes this.

  13. #13
    Official MyProtein Rep. Nutrition and Weight Management advisor. And, Nutrition for Sport and Exercise advisor.

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Under water trying not to get wet.
    Posts
    6,305
    Liked
    3429 times
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch6689 View Post
    Slow cooked 250g of the beef for three hours with some stock in a casserole dish.

    Fell apart in my mouth.

    Thanks for the help.
    Just read this when I was signed out and it had a rather appropriate ad next to it:

    BeefAd.jpg
    Official Myprotein.com Rep. Here to help and advise where I can!
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/

    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/





    Bakit kailangan nating huminga tupa?

  14. #14
    THIS WAS MY OLD TOP WHEN I WEIGHED 412LB LOL
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    18,768
    Liked
    24395 times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch6689 View Post
    Slow cooked 250g of the beef for three hours with some stock in a casserole dish.

    Fell apart in my mouth.

    Thanks for the help.
    Also you can add flavours to the cooking broth-----oxo/bisto/red wine/chilli/garlic etc
    Lemon will help tendarise if you are adding other flavours.

  15. #15
    Mr Universe
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,801
    Liked
    3779 times

    Re: How to cook silverside joint of beef?

    Quote Originally Posted by biglbs View Post
    Also you can add flavours to the cooking broth-----oxo/bisto/red wine/chilli/garlic etc
    Lemon will help tendarise if you are adding other flavours.
    also if you leave it in bio yogurt over night its will be so tender its almost a drink!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Beef Napoleon & Many More Beef Recipes!
    By WestinGourmet in forum Beef & Other Meat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 01:50 PM
  2. Cook for the week or cook each night
    By Captain Hero in forum Food, Diet and Nutrition Info
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 30-10-2007, 08:20 PM
  3. Chilli Cook-off
    By jdan in forum General Conversation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
  4. Has BB made you a better cook??
    By Geo in forum General Conversation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 12:37 AM
  5. Kill It, Cook It, Eat It
    By leeston in forum General Conversation
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All information contained within this site is for educational purposes only.
We do not endorse the Buying or selling of illegal substances nor do we promote the use of them.

UK-Muscle.co.uk takes no responsibility for any advertisers, thier content or products sold. All products sold by ANY advertisers are seen to be 'Research Items' only and not intended for Human Use.
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:03 AM.