Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: back pain disc?

  1. #1
    Newbie Trainer
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times

    back pain disc?

    Hi, I injured my back 14 weeks ago. I was bit stiff for a week and some pain.
    Over the next 6 weeks I had slight pain in right glute, very tight right ham and glute.

    Seven weeks after initial injury I woke with bad pain in right glute and rear of right knee aching/clicking.
    After a couple of days pain spread down my outer calf to my ankle/foot. Causing pins and needles type numbness to calf/foot.
    Calf has lost over an inch compared to left leg now!

    I’ve been told it’s most likely a disc problem. It seemed a little better a week and half ago as pain left foot, and only slight in calf. But last weekend pain returned to calf, foot/ankle!

    Its frustrating not being able to train!
    How have people recovered having similar back problems hope it isn’t the end of training.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Complete Basket Case
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    4,862
    Liked
    3 times
    Blog Entries
    35

    Re: back pain disc?

    I'm still suffering with it....

    mine is a slipped disk between L4/L5. The pain down the leg is where it spesses on the spinal cord causing sciatica...

    the docs say it takes 2-3 months and it should clear up... mine has been longer than that...

    I'm signed off work for another fortnight but the way things are going I don't think I'm going to be back to work till xmas...

    still training, but avoiding things that could injure the lower back...

  3. #3
    .
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    7,756
    Liked
    197 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    You might find something helpful in here...

  4. #4
    Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete again
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,163
    Liked
    417 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    Hey babe

    It does sound like a disc to me, you prob initially irritated it and then continued to work out?? and this has cause what most call "a slipped disc" i call a disc bulge or protrusion

    What has happened is that over time prob with weight lifting and maybe your daily job/activities/posture is that you have tended to put more pressure of the front of you discs and then you may have done something like deadlifts, squats etc etc and that was almost the final straw and you created a bulge in your disc

    The way i kinda explain it to my patients is that your discs are like a jelly doughnut you have a harder exterior and a more liquid like center! When you put more pressure on the front of the disc the back of the disc can become weaker and sometimes something even as similar as bending over the brush your teeth can be to much and what tends to happen is some of the liquidy middle moves backwards causing a bulge.

    A bulge depending on where it is can be pain free just uncomfortable, a slighlty bigger bulge can be quite painful in the lower back but if its near the nerve you will begin to have referred pain down one or both of your legs!

    If you have a complete bulge with nerve pains its more called a herniated disc!

    Have a look at this pic



    if you can have a look down the middle you will see nice little holes at every level, thats where the nerves come out and if you have something taking over part or all of that whole then you are going to be experienceing these pains down your leg (can be numbness, pins and needles, burning etc)

    If you have a herniated disc this is going to be something that is prob going to require surgery (but i dont think you do) If you have a disc bulge you should be ok but it will take some time and no, you dont need to give up training for ever! It may take a 6-12 weeks depending on how bad it is!

    Its all about trying to counteract the things that have put you in this position so spending less time in a flexed position, so limit sitting for to long, bending and all those type of things. and in general do not at the moment stay in any one position for any length of time!

    You need to start just doing like standing back extensions to try and take some of the pressure off the front of your disc.

    Other things to try without having to see a physio are

    Massage for the muscle spasm that will be surrounding that area of your spine

    Heat packs for the muscle spasm and pain relief

    Anti Inflams

    Pain relief

    And google "mckenzie exercises" and have a look at that stuff which you can do at home!

    Hope this was of some help!!

    x
    SteamRod and Sweat like this.

  5. #5
    Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete again
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,163
    Liked
    417 times

  6. #6
    Vanity is a Sin
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Peoples Home
    Posts
    7,061
    Liked
    119 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissBC View Post
    Hey babe

    It does sound like a disc to me, you prob initially irritated it and then continued to work out?? and this has cause what most call "a slipped disc" i call a disc bulge or protrusion

    What has happened is that over time prob with weight lifting and maybe your daily job/activities/posture is that you have tended to put more pressure of the front of you discs and then you may have done something like deadlifts, squats etc etc and that was almost the final straw and you created a bulge in your disc

    The way i kinda explain it to my patients is that your discs are like a jelly doughnut you have a harder exterior and a more liquid like center! When you put more pressure on the front of the disc the back of the disc can become weaker and sometimes something even as similar as bending over the brush your teeth can be to much and what tends to happen is some of the liquidy middle moves backwards causing a bulge.

    A bulge depending on where it is can be pain free just uncomfortable, a slighlty bigger bulge can be quite painful in the lower back but if its near the nerve you will begin to have referred pain down one or both of your legs!

    If you have a complete bulge with nerve pains its more called a herniated disc!

    Have a look at this pic



    if you can have a look down the middle you will see nice little holes at every level, thats where the nerves come out and if you have something taking over part or all of that whole then you are going to be experienceing these pains down your leg (can be numbness, pins and needles, burning etc)

    If you have a herniated disc this is going to be something that is prob going to require surgery (but i dont think you do) If you have a disc bulge you should be ok but it will take some time and no, you dont need to give up training for ever! It may take a 6-12 weeks depending on how bad it is!

    Its all about trying to counteract the things that have put you in this position so spending less time in a flexed position, so limit sitting for to long, bending and all those type of things. and in general do not at the moment stay in any one position for any length of time!

    You need to start just doing like standing back extensions to try and take some of the pressure off the front of your disc.

    Other things to try without having to see a physio are

    Massage for the muscle spasm that will be surrounding that area of your spine

    Heat packs for the muscle spasm and pain relief

    Anti Inflams

    Pain relief

    And google "mckenzie exercises" and have a look at that stuff which you can do at home!

    Hope this was of some help!!

    x

    As a back sufferer myself, THAT my girl is a fantastic post,
    THE PATH MUST BE WALKED

  7. #7
    Complete Basket Case
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    4,862
    Liked
    3 times
    Blog Entries
    35

    Re: back pain disc?

    indeed MissBc

    A most excellent post.

    The mckenzie book is good, i bought it last year after suffering my suspected fractured spine..

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steps-Pain-F...3819223&sr=8-1

  8. #8
    Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete again
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,163
    Liked
    417 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    ahhh thanks guys, its such a common injury that i face with my patients numerous times a day so if you need any advice or help let me know!!

  9. #9
    Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete again
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,163
    Liked
    417 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    its also such a horrible injury that can be such a pain in the ass (excuse the pun) that if i CAN help im more than happy to!!

  10. #10
    Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete again
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,163
    Liked
    417 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdog View Post
    indeed MissBc

    A most excellent post.

    The mckenzie book is good, i bought it last year after suffering my suspected fractured spine..

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steps-Pain-F...3819223&sr=8-1
    yea i was a competetive rower for 4 years and at the same time studying for my Physiotherapy degree (so sitting for hours in lectures) and have had and still have chronic lower back pains myself, i was seeing my physio 2 times per week for like 3 years. He suspected i may have had numerous Pars interarticularis fractures from such a repetitive action in rowing but i had xrays and scans and it all seemd ok

    HOWEVER i still 7 years later suffer and think i always will i have just learnt how to best manage it and it prob only gets to me about once or twice every 2 months!

  11. #11
    Newbie Trainer
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdog View Post
    I'm still suffering with it....

    mine is a slipped disk between L4/L5. The pain down the leg is where it spesses on the spinal cord causing sciatica...

    the docs say it takes 2-3 months and it should clear up... mine has been longer than that...

    I'm signed off work for another fortnight but the way things are going I don't think I'm going to be back to work till xmas...

    still training, but avoiding things that could injure the lower back...
    cheers, any sign of your back getting better?

    I've been off work for 6 weeks now and signed off for another 2.

  12. #12
    Newbie Trainer
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    Cheers missBC, Great post!

    I have been doing some of mckenzie exercises, seemed to be helping untill i got worse a week ago, duno if it was something to with getting ill then (tonsillitis).


    I'm gona try and get more active next week with out causing pain see if that helps.
    Last edited by scorpion; 12-10-2008 at 06:10 PM.

  13. #13
    Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete again
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,163
    Liked
    417 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
    Cheers missBC, Great post!

    I have been doing some of mckenzie exercises, seemed to be helping untill i got worse a week ago, duno if it was something to with getting ill then (tonsillitis).


    I'm gona try and get more active next week with out causing pain this week see if that helps.

    Yea being sick may have made it feel a tad worse!!

    I would be very very careful when "getting active" these can be very tempermental things and you dont want to push it cause if its just a bulge you can make it worse and then you will know about it!

  14. #14
    Newbie Trainer
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissBC View Post
    Yea being sick may have made it feel a tad worse!!

    I would be very very careful when "getting active" these can be very tempermental things and you dont want to push it cause if its just a bulge you can make it worse and then you will know about it!
    All I'll be doing is cardio (cross trainer), core work ,dips, pull ups and anything that doesn't cause pain.

  15. #15
    Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete again
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,163
    Liked
    417 times

    Re: back pain disc?

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
    All I'll be doing is cardio (cross trainer), core work ,dips, pull ups and anything that doesn't cause pain.
    ok thats fine, i would be very careful with sit up or anything like that, i would focus alot of your transverse abs so help stabilise your lumber spine more!

    PS - just cause it doesnt cause pain doesnt mean its not going to aggravate the area so be very caerful! DONT go on the treadmill either. For cardio do the bike, cross trainer, rower (carefully), swimming etc anything that is low impact!!

 

 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LOOKING AFTER YOU SHOULDERS #1
    By cyclops_45 in forum Advanced Bodybuilding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 11:08 AM
  2. Lifting Techniques
    By rugby_mike in forum Form and Technique
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
  3. how to dead lift
    By colrob1 in forum Strength and Power
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 10:31 PM
  4. Lower back pain
    By Bigdav in forum Form and Technique
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23-06-2005, 11:04 AM
  5. Back pain.
    By Jud6572 in forum Steroid and Testosterone information
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-09-2003, 05:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All information contained within this site is for educational purposes only.
We do not endorse the Buying or selling of illegal substances nor do we promote the use of them.

UK-Muscle.co.uk takes no responsibility for any advertisers, thier content or products sold. All products sold by ANY advertisers are seen to be 'Research Items' only and not intended for Human Use.
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:03 PM.